An Introduction


Each year Victoria Police receives more than 8000 reports relating to a missing person.  This equates to over 150 reports each week, with this figure increasing over recent years.  Of those reported missing about 44 percent are found within 48 hours.  Most people reported missing will either be found safe and well or will have returned home and made contact with their friends or family.

People go missing for a number of reasons, including:

  • by their own choice
  • they are wanderers or absconders
  • they are suicidal
  • they have no choice – they are a victim of a crime, mishap or misadventure


When is a person a missing person?

In Australia, a person is considered missing when:

  • they are reported missing to police and their whereabouts are unknown; and
  • there are fears for the safety or concerns for the welfare of that person, including any person in an institution (not including a prison or gaol)


Emotional impact

When a relative or friend is reported missing the emotional impact on families and friends can be considerable.  Feelings of fear, anger, frustration, guilt, blame and helplessness are some of the reactions people experience.  These responses are normal, and people react to situations in different ways.  It is challenging to live with uncertainty, so you can seek professional help to provide additional strength and support.

The following information may be helpful for families and friends of missing persons:

  • encourage family and friends of missing persons to talk to someone about how they are feeling
  • take care of each other, each person can be affected in their own way
  • encourage children and teenagers to talk about their feelings, even though they are sometimes afraid of upsetting their parents or other family members
  • encourage young people to show their feelings and talk openly
  • take one day at a time and avoid making any significant life changes
  • try and maintain a normal daily routine


Professional help and support services

There are a range of support services and counselling providers which assist missing persons, families and friends of missing persons in times of need, either during the disappearance of a loved one or after they have been located.  Information includes:

  • professional services
  • getting help
  • how and what you can do to help
  • the risks of suicide
  • what to do if a dementia sufferer goes missing
  • working with the media

People who intentionally go missing often do so to escape or remove themselves from uncomfortable or unpleasant situations.  In this case, people are generally lacking the support they require to manage their situation and may feel that going missing is their only option.  Improving community support is key to reducing both the incident and impacts of missing persons.

A range of support services are available in our community where people can go to for help, including Lifeline, Beyond Blue, Relationships Australia, Alzheimer’s Australia, Headspace, Reach Out and SANE Australia

Do not hesitate to contact professional help if ongoing support is needed whilst a loved one is missing. Contact your doctor, counsellor, therapist or community health centre for advice.  If a loved one is located and returns home, family and friends may consider professional counselling, mediation or reconciliation to help prevent the situation reoccurring.


Victims Assistance Program (VAP)
To assist families of missing persons, Victoria Police work together with the Department of Justice and Regulation to enhance access to support, such as the Victims Assistance Program (VAP).  VAP services are located in the community and also collocate at some police stations across Victoria. Case Managers provide services that assist families of missing persons and victims of crime during what is a very stressful and traumatic time, while police focus on the investigation.

Support Services can be accessed by calling the Victims of Crime Helpline on 1800 819 817 8am-11pm 7 days a week, or by asking the investigating officer to make a referral for you.


Victorian Interpreting and Translation Service (VITS)
If English is not your first language, and you require the services of an interpreter, police can arrange for a professional telephone interpreter to assist you when liaising with police and when making a ‘missing persons report’ at the local police station.  This is a free service.  The telephone interpreter can also help you to understand particular expressions the police may use.  An onsite (face-to-face) professional interpreter can also be provided if required, however, this is a pre-arranged service at a date and time suitable to all parties being the police, interpreter and person making the report.


Getting help

A number of organisations provide information and support for people who have missing family or friends.  For more information, refer to our ‘Useful Websites’ page for direct links to these support services.

If at any time you feel that you need immediate emotional support or to talk to someone please contact Lifeline on 13 11 44


If you are a missing person

It is not an offence to be reported as ‘missing’.  If you become aware or suspect that you have been reported missing because there are concerns about your safety and welfare, please contact either your family or local police station so they can suspend all searchers and stop looking for you.

If you are 17 years of age or over, your whereabouts cannot be disclosed without your consent.  If this is what you choose, police will tell the person who reported you missing that you have been located, but will state that they do not have the authority to disclose your whereabouts.  Police must take this step to ensure accurate closure of the missing person case.  The ability of police to make disclosures about persons under 17 years of age will depend on the individual circumstances of the missing person and privacy legislation requirements within the State of Victoria.


Helping with the search

When a person is reported as missing, the focus is often centred around the investigation and the way in which the police and the community are working together to locate the missing person.  Once the Missing Persons Report has been taken, family members and friends may feel isolated, frustrated and helpless that they are not doing enough to help further.

Often, families and friends of missing people say they gain a sense of control, direction and purpose by 'keeping busy'.  The following suggestions are useful if you wish to be more actively involved in the search process.  It is strongly recommended that you consult with police before undertaking any of the activities and keep them informed of your progress.


Raise awareness about a missing person

  • raise awareness by printing recent photographs of the missing person for distribution to the media for either local, state and/or national publicity
  • create posters that can be displayed in and around the community, with a clear heading eg. ‘Missing Person’ or ‘Have you seen me?’
  • include a clear and recent photograph of the missing person within the posters
  • details of where the person was last sighted (area)
  • a contact telephone number for the public to provide information. The most appropriate telephone number to display is the Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 number, not a personal or private number
  • distribute posters and recent photographs in public areas such as shopping centres, bus stops, railway stations, sporting and entertainment facilities, libraries, police stations, churches and community centres.  Keep a list of where posters and photographs have been displayed


Share information about a missing person

  • any information you have relating to the missing person should be given to the police investigating officer
  • consult with police about making a public appeal through the media
  • any information or specific details of any enquiries must be recorded


For additional information on how to help with the search, visit the National Missing Persons Coordination Centre


What you can do on behalf of a missing person

When a police investigation is being carried out, there are several things you could do on behalf of the missing person:

  • notify the missing person's employer, business, school or education facility
  • cancel any prearranged social engagements, business appointments or travel plans
  • ensure someone is looking after the missing person's house and pets and arrange for the mail to be collected if they live alone
  • make interim arrangements for outstanding bills, mortgage, rent, insurance or other financial obligations
  • if you notice any unusual activity in the missing person's bank accounts, notify police


Your own arrangements

Although the primary focus will be directed towards the police investigation and search, your own personal matters need to be taken care of to enable some direction during this difficult time.

  • advise your employer and discuss the possibility of taking some time off work
  • when you have investigation and search commitments, arrange for close friends or relatives to take the children to and from school and take care of chores and meals
  • inform neighbours of the situation and alert them to the fact police and media will be present in the area
  • families of missing persons are often contacted by psychics and clairvoyants who may be genuinely trying to help.  Do not feel obliged to deal with them.  It may be more appropriate to refer them to the police investigating officer to manage these type of requests


Related information
Beyond Blue
Connections Uniting Care
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
Department of Justice & Regulation (VAPS)
Kids Helpline
Lifeline Australia

Link-Up Aboriginal Corporation (Victoria)

Loddon Campaspe Community Legal Centre – ‘SAFE KEEPING’ Guide
National Missing Persons Coordination Centre (NMPCC)
Reach Out
Relationships Australia
Salvation Army Family Tracing Service
SANE Australia
Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal
Victims of Crime Helpline
Victorian Interpreting and Translation Services (VITS)
Windermere Community Service
Youth Beyond Blue
Your Local Police